Step-By-Step Walkthrough (Recommended)
Do you already have an SSH key that you want to use?
Generating a New SSH Key Pair
To authenticate with the server, you'll need to use an SSH key. For information on getting an SSH key, see our article on generating an SSH key on Windows.
Adding Your SSH Public Key to Your Account
Now that you have an SSH key pair, you'll need to add it to your Pagely account using the Atomic control panel. For information on adding your SSH key, see our article on adding SSH keys to your Pagely account.
(Optional) Using Pageant to Handle SSH Keys
Normally, you would need to enter your SSH key passphrase every time you want to connect over SSH or SFTP. By using Pageant, your SSH keys will be automatically managed for you whenever you connect.
- Begin by downloading Pageant to your computer and opening it.
- Inside the application, click the Add Key button, then select your SSH private key.
- If your SSH key has a passphrase (we highly recommend you have a passphrase set on any SSH keys), you'll be prompted to enter it.
If all went well, your SSH key will now be listed inside Pageant and is ready to use.
Connecting Over SSH
Connecting over SSH is simple. In this section, we'll show you how to use PuTTY to connect to to your server using SSH.
- Begin by downloading PuTTY, then opening it.
- Next, look for the Hostname field near the top of the window and enter the hostname or domain that you want connect to.
- Inside the Connection Type section, select SSH.
- If you followed the previous step and are using Pageant to manage your SSH keys, you won't need to do anything extra to authenticate with your SSH key. If not, you'll need to add your SSH key within PuTTY by using the SSH section inside PuTTY.
- Finally, click on the Open button to connect to the server.
Connecting Over SFTP
Need to connect over SFTP? For more information on connecting over SFTP, see our article on configuring SFTP clients.